DTE Energy's Herbicide Program
As part of their tree maintenance program, DTE Energy will begin applying herbicide in areas in your community that have been previously trimmed. To prevent outages, DTE Energy developed a comprehensive program to manage vegetation around power lines located on the approximate 30,200 miles of overhead distribution rights of way. Keeping trees and other vegetation away from aerial lines is very important, as is creating a safe habitat for wildlife and allow native, desirable plants to flourish Some highlights of this new programs are as follows:
Informational link provided below.
- Communication with customers will be done by the contractors who will leave door hangers if the landowner is not home.
- Door hangers and the herbicides web page have illustrations depicting what to expect following herbicide treatment.
- The chemicals used will be listed on the door hanger and on DTE’s herbicides web page.
- All chemicals are approved by EPA and of strengths comparable with household chemicals.
- We will leave 10 ft. buffers to sensitive areas (parks, pastures, landscaped areas, bodies of water, etc.).
- We will not spray within 100 ft. of an inhabited house if the owned did not give us permission to do so.
- In the state, Consumers Energy and MDOT are using similar chemicals to spray right of ways and have been doing so for decades.
All Latest News ...